If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you may be wondering whether you need to hire a lawyer or when is the right time to hire one. The good news is that any time is the right time, even if you’re not sure you need one, but wait too long, and you may lose your rights.
The Georgia personal injury attorneys at Slappey & Sadd help people in the Atlanta area and across the state of Georgia get the compensation they deserve. If you’ve been injured in a car accident and don’t know what to do, call us at 888-474-9616 or visit us online to schedule a free consultation.
Go See a Doctor
If you think you’ve been injured, the very first thing you should do is go see a doctor and get a thorough examination. They can diagnose your injuries, prescribe treatment, and estimate how long it will take you to recover along with any limitations. If you begin experiencing new symptoms, don’t be afraid to go back – some injuries are not apparent right away. Understanding the nature and extent of your injuries will help you decide whether you need to speak with a personal injury attorney.
The Statute of Limitations
In the state of Georgia, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years. This means that you have two years from the date you were injured to file a lawsuit. If you don’t file your lawsuit within this time period, you will be barred from suing the other party, no matter how strong your claim or how obviously they were at fault.
Most people don’t want to sue anyone, and so they interpret the statute of limitations to mean that they have two years to decide to hire a lawyer. However, there are several reasons why you shouldn’t wait two years to hire a personal injury attorney:
- The lawyer may not have enough time to thoroughly evaluate your case before filing suit and therefore may not want to take it on.
- Your memory of the accident will not be as sharp as it was immediately after.
- It will be difficult to collect evidence and documents as well as locate and interview witnesses.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer doesn’t mean you have to file suit, but you will be prepared to file a lawsuit if you need to.
Sooner is Better Than Later
If you have been injured in a car accident and you believe the other driver is at fault, it’s far better to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. As mentioned above, waiting to hire a lawyer can make it more difficult to prove your case. Here are some considerations to keep in mind if you are wondering whether you should hire a lawyer:
- It won’t cost you anything. Almost every personal injury attorney offers a free consultation. In addition, most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you don’t pay any legal fees unless they win your case, and then they get a share of your compensation.
- Your personal injury lawyer can help you build your case. They can help you collect the necessary documents, interview witnesses, and even help coordinate treatment.
- Your personal injury attorney can deal with the insurance companies. Believe it or not, the insurance companies do not want to pay your claim. Your lawyer can hold them accountable and thereby avoid going to court.
- Your personal injury attorney can handle the legal aspects of your case. If you are unable to settle with the insurance companies, your attorney can handle the lawsuit for you. The legal system is very challenging for non-lawyers, and being represented by an attorney gives you a much better chance of success.
The bottom line is that a personal injury can handle your case so that you can focus on recovery.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact the Atlanta Personal Injury Attorneys at Slappey & Sadd
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, time is not on your side. The sooner you get in touch with one of our personal injury attorneys, the sooner we can help you get the compensation you need to make a full recovery. We work with our clients every step of the way, from the very first meeting until we win your case, and you pay no legal fees unless we win. If you’re wondering whether you should hire a lawyer, call us at 888-474-9616 or reach out online to schedule your free consultation today.