Sometimes, consumer products that are specifically designed to protect us, malfunction or are defective and – as a result – end up harming us instead. Airbags save lives and have significantly increased survival rates in traffic accidents that would otherwise prove deadly. When airbags malfunction or are otherwise defective, however, they can be the direct cause of serious car accident injuries. If you or someone you care about has been harmed by a dangerously defective airbag, an experienced Atlanta product liability attorney can help.
A Note about Airbags
Airbags are like powerful air-filled pillows that help absorb the impact of car accidents when they deploy, and the process is not without some risk. In other words, even when airbags perform exactly as they are supposed to, you can be injured in the process. This is generally a matter of balancing the overall risk, and the protections afforded to you by a deployed airbag typically outweigh the risk factor.
Sometimes, however, airbags cause injuries specifically because they are defective in some way. When any of the following apply, for example, you can seek compensation for the losses you incur as a result of your airbag-related injuries:
- Airbags that are based on faulty design
- Airbags that are rendered dangerous due to a flaw in the manufacturing process
- Airbags that don’t come with the necessary precautions, instructions, or warnings (such as information about height and weight requirements)
In these situations, the injuries you sustain are caused by the manufacturer’s lapsed responsibility to your safety.
Common Airbag Injuries
While a airbag that malfunctions can cause many kinds of injuries, some of the most common include:
- Injuries to Your Face – Because of how airbags are positioned, your face is one of your most vulnerable body parts, and a faulty airbag can injure your eyes and can fracture the delicate bones of your face. Concussions are also a concern.
- Injuries to Your Chest – The force of an airbag’s deployment against your chest can lead to broken bones in the chest area and to soft tissue injuries.
- Injuries to Your Neck and Back – Even when an airbag deploys correctly, whiplash and other soft tissue injuries are a concern. When the airbag is defective, these injuries can be more pronounced. An airbag’s immense impact can also lead to spinal cord injuries.
- Burns – When airbags inflate, chemicals are employed that can lead to burns and skin sensitivity that is commonly called airbag dermatitis (and to breathing concerns). Additionally, the force and drag of the airbag against your skin can cause serious burns and abrasions.
- Internal Injuries – An airbag can emit enough pressure to cause significant internal injuries, including organ lacerations, internal bruising, or even internal bleeding.
Turn to an Experienced Atlanta Product Liability Attorney for the Help You Need
The distinguished Atlanta product Liability attorneys at Slappey & Sadd have considerable experience helping clients like you prevail with compensation that fairly covers their accident-related losses. We’re here for you too, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 888.474.9616 for more information today.